In the early days of Our Lady of Victory Catholic Church in Northville, Mass was not celebrated every week, nor was it always on Sunday. Priests from Milford celebrated Mass in homes of parishioners in the Northville area beginning in the late 1880’s. On May 25, 1887, Rev. F. Broegger came to Northville to offer Mass in a home located on West Dunlap Street. This was the beginning of the Catholic Church here—organized as a mission.
In 1905, Reverend Halley bought the site where the Detroit Edison Building now stands. The two front rooms of the frame building were used as the church and a family occupied the rest of the home. Reverend John Dowdle came to Northville on November 12, 1912. Mass was then held in Catermole Hall on North Center Street. In November 1920, Reverend LaFevre came to the Northville parish and used the old library building for a church.
In 1922, Northville and Plymouth were made separate parishes. Fr. LeFevre went to the Plymouth Parish. Reverend Joseph Schuler was assigned pastor of the Northville Parish. In 1922, land where the church now stands at Orchard and Thayer Streets was purchased. The first church was a frame building dedicated to Our lady of Victory. Fr. Schuler lived on Fairbrook, near Wing Street, until a frame house on Thayer Street was purchased for him. Later a brick house, the first permanent rectory, was bought.
Felician Sisters from Madonna College taught catechism to the parish children until 1952, when Sisters of St. Dominic came to Our Lady of Victory. After Fr. Schuler was transferred in 1939, Reverend Lucien Herbert and Reverend Joseph Schramm came to Our Lady of Victory. In 1942, Reverend John Lynch became the resident pastor; and in 1945, Reverend Lorenzo Woods was appointed pastor. By this time the parish included over 200 families.
The first Catholic School was built in 1952. It consisted of four rooms. Later in 1952, Reverend Anthony Heraty was appointed pastor. When Reverend John Wittstick assumed pastorship in 1956 there were about 330 families in the parish.
In the fall of 1957, the new church and social hall was constructed at a cost of $226,000. The first official function to be held in the new church was reception of the Holy Sacrament of Confirmation on November 30, 1957. The church was dedicated by Cardinal Mooney on September 30, 1958. By this time, the parish had over 460 families.
In 1961 additions were made to the convent at a cost of $35,000 and to the school at a cost of $85,000, adding four classrooms and an office to the school. In November 1961, the Dominican Sisters left their temporary quarters at St. John’s Seminary and made their permanent home at our convent. About 1967-68 a new rectory was built for Our Lady of Victory, adjacent to the church.
In 1985 two new classrooms were added to the school, along with an adjoining structure to connect to the church. Shortly thereafter, the church itself underwent a major renovation into its current configuration. In 2007, OLV students were welcomed into a new multi-level school facility built across the street on Orchard Drive. In 2009, parish offices were moved to the renovated "old school" building.